[lbo-talk] In the American Grain

Bill Quimby wquimby at embarqmail.com
Sun Apr 18 15:35:43 PDT 2010

Leafing through some old issues of The New Yorker recently I came across this from Thomas Merton...

"I have what you have not. I am what you are not. I have taken what you have failed to take and I have seized what you could never get. Therefore you suffer and I am happy, you are despised and I am praised, you die and I live; you are nothing and I am something, and I am all the more something because you are nothing. And thus I spend my life admiring the distance between you and me."

(Quoted in The New Yorker, May 19, 2008, page 84, in a review of two plays.)

Thinking that maybe Merton would suggest that there is a "personal responsibility" that is a social good, not a Benthamite "individual" good?

- Bill