[lbo-talk] in the American grain

Michael Smith mjs at smithbowen.net
Sun Apr 18 18:50:03 PDT 2010

On Sun, 18 Apr 2010 20:46:35 -0400 Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> wrote:

> Yes, and it's funny to see people here, who know and have read all
> kinds of things, disparage the work that went into getting there.

>From what I've seen of scholars and musicians and artists, the "work"
is in fact pleasure. Give these folks leisure time and this is how they'll spend it -- not out of any sense of responsibility, not because they're dutifully heeding their superego, but because they're enjoying themselves.

Put another way, the best work is done when it's not work.

--

Michael Smith mjs at smithbowen.net http://stopmebeforeivoteagain.org http://fakesprogress.blogspot.com