[lbo-talk] agricultural productivity

brad bauerly bbauerly at gmail.com
Mon Apr 19 05:44:46 PDT 2010

Alan wrote:
>Wait a minute, you are saying that capitalist increases in agricultural
productivity led to population growth because of all the extra food that was suddenly and then sustainably around? ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Yes, capitalist agricultural productivity led to population growth because of the 'extra' food that it created. Also, because of this increased productivity it increased the division of labor and decreased the socially necessary labor time required for the reproduction of workers. I am not arguing that it didn't also restructure social relations and require wage labor to purchase food, if you can afford it. This is what makes capitalism different from everything prior to it, which is the source of the historically unprecedented rise in population. What is the source of this population growth if not in the changes in social relations?

Alan:
>I know capitalism has done a great job
developing productive forces, while impoverishing production relations to untold levels and crushing cooperation - both a force and relation, but it strikes me as one of the most unbelievably ridiculous assertions I've ever encountered to argue that the population growth resulting from enclosure, the alienation of labor and the imposition of hegemonic wage labor relations overproduction of agricultural commodities. ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- You lost me. What was your last sentence?

>If you want to attribute the demographic consequences of all this to the
glorious increase in agricultural productivity capitalism generated, be my guest, you and James can try but I don't think too many people are going to join your revolution. By the way, be sure - you and James - to start your efforts among the ever-expanding urban slums across the global south, I'm sure people there won't be able to constrain their enthusiam when you tell them how much they should celebrate the glories of capitalist agricultural productivity. ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Is there not more food produced today than at any other time in history? I see the problem not in the production of large amounts of food, or surplus population, but in the social relations that prevent that food from being consumed by those who need it. They are denied the food they need not because they are not direct agricultural producers- feudalism and every other social form also had mass starvation, hence the slow population growth- but because they are wage laborers. Yes, the growth of wage labor was the result of the increased productivity of capitalist agriculture, so one could see them as a surplus population. They are only surplus in capitalist terms though (hence why Marx usually uses the term relative surplus population). The problem is solved not by returning everyone to the land, except for those that are surplus which James correctly calculates at about 4 billion. It is solved by a transformation of the social relations. I am not sure many will join your revolution when you tell one in three of them that they need to go back to the land, oh and the other two, well they are just surplus.

Brad