[lbo-talk] agricultural productivity

Max B. Sawicky sawicky at verizon.net
Mon Apr 19 07:20:16 PDT 2010

Productivity is swell but invariably (and measurably) overrated, but that aside, there is a logical issue w/this pronouncement.

If the people had not been born, they would not be people. They would not exist. Better to exist than never to have existed makes no sense. (Not the same as better to exist than to cease to exist.) Am I happy to have been born? Happier than what?

So there is no case that more people means a higher level of well-being, that population growth in and of itself is desirable (unless you're Robinson Crusoe and you get bored with Friday).

-----Original Message----- From: lbo-talk-bounces at lbo-talk.org [mailto:lbo-talk-bounces at lbo-talk.org] On Behalf Of James Heartfield Sent: Monday, April 19, 2010 9:09 AM To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Subject: [lbo-talk] agricultural productivity

. . . But you are not listening, Alan. Those people would not be alive without increased output of grains and other foodstuffs. The population increased from 2 billion to 6.6 billion from 1900 to 2010. World grain output rose from 400 million tons in 1900 to 1.9 billion tons in 1998 - without that, those 4.6 billion would either have starved, or never been born.

When I said that they had better lives than they would have without increased productivity in agriculture, I was taking it as read that it is better to be alive than dead. Is it really your position that people would have been better off not being born?

. . .