[lbo-talk] agricultural productivity

Alan Rudy alan.rudy at gmail.com
Mon Apr 19 07:48:44 PDT 2010

I didn't argue that everything was unequivocally bad, though James has argued that pretty much everything's been good - except for the distribution of value to agricultural laborers (which he seems to simultaneously see as declining, because it is the foundation of his productivity argument) but not see as a problem since the value will be concentrated in the small numbers of agricultural laborers capitalism leaves behind when James' revolution happens - I argued that we've learned enough from the superabundant contradictions to do way way way way better... to produce more, better food distributed more equitably.

At the same time, anyone want to pay me to give them a tour of California's Imperial Valley and then walk across the border for a tour of the Mexicali Valley. Now, that's some capitalist agriculture for you and, I believe, not something most of us would argue is in the slightest bit healthy or sustainable... however "productive" it is. For enough money, we could also head over to the Salt River valley in Arizona for even more fun. My dad could probably walk us around those really robust "farms" in SE New Mexico. Friends could provide pretty similar tours of the Central Valley... and then others all the land that used to be agricultural in the triangle from San Diego to Santa Barbara to Riverside and/or all the land that used to be agricultural in and surrounding San Jose, CA. It wouldn't take much to have us explore the issues tied to the accelerated extraction of water from the Oglalla Aquifer, I'd imagine... And I'm sure there is someone on the list who could give us a tour of all the land that used to be agricultural around Mexico City and others who'd be happy to tour us around the once-ejidal lands now irrigated across hundreds of acres to produce crops for export across Mexico. I have other friends who, for the right fee, would might be able to provide tours around that productive marvel and social ecological disaster that is the Punjab. I know an ex-colleague at MSU who has studied the massive export flower production enterprises around Lake Victoria in Africa... etc.