[lbo-talk] Thoughts on the Tea Party

Wojtek S wsoko52 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 19 12:15:00 PDT 2010

[WS:] I'd take exception to your statement on the effect of taxation. Taxes alone are not particularly heavy in the US - suffice it to compare the EU VAT @ 22% and US sales tax that typically is 6-8%.

US families spend more on the so called public goods than their EU counterparts not because of taxes, but because payments for these goods have been collected by private parties (cf. insurance premium or private tuition). The big difference is that these private fees are not cognitively frames as taxes but as "voluntary" payments for services. Hence, most people do not make a connection between taxes and public services, siunce they have to purchase the latter through private vendors. Never mind that they have to pay much higher price than their EU counterparts - they see it as purchasing something they value, whereas taxes are perceived as 'waste.'

To sum it up - the issue is not taxation per se, but how it is cognitively framed in the US - and that this framing is done almost exclusively by pro-business propaganda.

Wojtek

On Mon, Apr 19, 2010 at 2:48 PM, michael perelman <michael at ecst.csuchico.edu