[lbo-talk] just don't do it

shag carpet bomb shag at cleandraws.com
Mon Apr 19 20:13:13 PDT 2010

some confusion about my meaning.

i'm trying to understand why people don't get involved. for instance, the election. people on this list would talk about how great it was that young people were involved and doing stuff. there were great hopes pinned on this movement behind obama.

but then when i asked, it turned out that no one on this list was actually involved in this movement - save for folks for whom such work is part of their paid work.

there was a brief convo about why ppl don't get involved then.

with sean, we've been talking about the feeling of how overwhelming it all is. where to start? why? with whom? what to do? there's so much that can be done but not real sense as to what the most important thing is to be done.

then there is the issue of leadership. people who aren't on this have said that they don't feel they can contribute much because they really aren't leaders. they're not inspired by what is going on out there, but they don't have the leadership skills or leanings to start something on their own.

so i was wondering about that. is this how you feel? is this how you think others feel? are there other reasons why you don't get involved?