[lbo-talk] Thoughts on the Tea Party

Chip Berlet c.berlet at publiceye.org
Tue Apr 20 06:04:55 PDT 2010

Hi,

Right-wing populist movements throughout U.S. history are generally a revolt from the middle class who fear falling down the socio-economic ladder.

Has anybody on this list actually read the book I co-wrote with Matt Lyons: Right-Wing Populism in America?

None of this is new. It follows certain patterns. There are at least 20 books on the topic since 1980 concerning the U.S. and Europe. The terms used include "Radical Center," Middle American Radicals," the "Revolt from the Middle."

-Chip

From: lbo-talk-bounces at lbo-talk.org on behalf of Doug Henwood Sent: Tue 4/20/2010 8:45 AM To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] Thoughts on the Tea Party

On Apr 20, 2010, at 8:35 AM, SA wrote:

> The only available data that give a reliable picture of overall SES
> are education. And when you look at real Tea Party supporters
> (people who say they follow news about the TP and strongly support
> it), their education profile as a group mirrors that of households
> around the 80+ percentile.

Ok, so they're the revolt of the "have somes" and not the "have a lots." The have a lots are doing very nicely.