[lbo-talk] Thoughts on the Tea Party

Wojtek S wsoko52 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 21 06:41:46 PDT 2010

Brad: " I don't quite know what you mean by hard wired, but if you mean ingrained through socialization, I can agree with it."

[WS:] I mean their brain connections are wired in a way that favors that kind of response. For one thing, people with low tolerance for uncertainty and ambiguity are naturally attracted to authoritarian ideologies that give them a sense of certitude. For another thing, brain connections are shaped by experiences (i.e. socialization) to a significant degree. It is called neuroplasticity and it results in behavioral patterns that are very difficult (if it all possible) to unlearn (btw, the distinction nature vs nurture is a false dichotomy, thanks to the discovery of neuroplasticity.)

It seems that sucking up to people with high social status, even at the expense of self interest, and basing people with low social status is a universal trait.

Wojtek