[lbo-talk] Thoughts on the Tea Party

shag carpet bomb shag at cleandraws.com
Wed Apr 21 06:46:19 PDT 2010

kind of. it just seems that, if it were just about sociological inquiry, then there's no reason why they have to be more or less educated, more or less aged, more or less white, more or less racist. you'd just detail their characteristics. figure out if there's an overwhelming tendency one way or another. or discover that there's not. and leave it at that.

but in this convo, as with others, there's a kind of rooting for the home team thing going on. first, there's the desire for them to be more or less educated, more or less white, more or less racist, more or less well off. as brad said, the goal is to blunt a tendency on the left to find "bad" identity characteristics as the explanation for why they "get off their asses" and do shit. to blunt that tendency then, we'd want to find positive identity characteristics to explain "getting off their asses."

the contention seems to be this: their identity seems to be related to why they have the views they have and, in turn, why they get off their asses and do something. the dealio is, if they are more educated than "average," then this doesn't bode well. if they are more well off than "average," then this doesn't bode well. bode well for what? the left.

shag