[lbo-talk] Thoughts on the Tea Party (and why the Left is Dead)

Bhaskar Sunkara bhaskar.sunkara at gmail.com
Wed Apr 21 18:43:49 PDT 2010

Most of the real organizing didn't happen until a mini-upturn in the economy. Winning and optimism emboldens people, not defeat and the "back against the wall" feeling. Didn't fascism faired pretty well in the 1930s too? I don't agree with Doug totally though. Crises, political or economic, can be exploited if there is an organized left already present. I think back to the organizing work the Portuguese CP was able to do in the trade unions in the years before the Revolution. It's no guarantee of success, but like Michael saids, it presents an opportunity.