[lbo-talk] thoughts on the Tea Party (why the left is Dead)

brad babscritique at gmail.com
Thu Apr 22 08:32:37 PDT 2010

James wrote:
>No, indeed. 'Men make their own history', Marx said.
I say, it is not the state of the economy that shapes the left's response, but the state of the left that shapes the response to the economy. ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Yes, I would just add that the bourgeoisie also has a hand in shaping the way a crisis works itself out and therefore the ability of the left to build a response (maybe this is the..."but not under circumstances of their own choosing" part). Capital was in a weak position in the late 1960s early 1970s due to the compromises it made with the left coming out of the depression . Not for long though as a new strategy of isolating workers based on neoliberalism gave them the upper hand. This is how we enter this period with a very weak and isolated left and a strong and well organized bourgeoisie. A big part of the problem, IMO, rests on the lefts failure to properly understand the large role of the state during neoliberalism acting to disorganize the left and depoliticize the economy while organizing capital as a class. Too many think neoliberalism is about a reduction in the role of the state. We need to attack the institutional sites of this disorganization in the state while simultaneously building solidarity through non-electoral movements.

Brad