[lbo-talk] can't afford health care? bring a chicken to the doc's

Wojtek S wsoko52 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 22 09:13:01 PDT 2010

[WS:] Politics in a democracy (certainly in this country and probably in large parts of EU as well) turned into a circus nowadays. It is all about who said what and how shocking and divisive that statement was - because that is what grabs attention amidst mental pollution created by the media industry. Just like in entertainment. Pure bullshit - as defined in Harry Frankfurt's essay - all posturing zero factual content. I am pretty sure that the schmuck who said that was fully aware of the nonsensical nature of his/her statement -but he/she said it anyway because it is likely to generate buzz.

While we are at that - this is a general trend in what passes for news reporting in the US (and I presume in the EU as well, but I do not read French German or Italian.) It is like a gossip column - it is all about which star said what - while what actually happened is largely ignored. This reminds of of the official Soviet-style news reporting in the 1960s and 1970s -- it was all about what political celebrities said, while the actual news were not reported.

In short, most of the political 'statements' are equivalent to farting in public - deliberately obnoxious to grab attention, but otherwise meaningless.

Wojtek