[lbo-talk] Thoughts on the Tea Party (and why the Left is Dead)

SA s11131978 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 22 10:29:58 PDT 2010

Carrol Cox wrote:

> it was
> that slump that put "the '60s" down for good.

Yes. I'll never forget a line from the Weather Underground documentary, which I just watched recently. During the 1974-75 recession, one of the wanted members living underground sent a letter to her family just before she decided to give herself up. She wrote that suddenly you couldn't even get a job pushing a broom if you couldn't show you'd been doing it for five years. She spoke as if the idea of unemployment was a radically new concept to her.

SA