[lbo-talk] good reads?

Sandy Harris sandyinchina at gmail.com
Thu Apr 22 18:48:03 PDT 2010

On Fri, Apr 23, 2010 at 9:13 AM, Michael Perelman <michael at ecst.csuchico.edu> wrote:
> Try Gambling Man, a wonderful panorama of England in the 1660s with the
> return of Charles II.  The author covers the politics, economics, culture,
> and personalities of the time.

If you want historical novels from that period, try Neal Stephenson's Quicksilver. Interesting science & politics -- one leading character is Newton's roommate at Cambridge -- plus some derring-do. It was first published as a triliogy of thick books, later released as 8 smaller volumes.

The only other historical novels I've read that were as good were I, Claudius, and the Flashman series.