[lbo-talk] good reads?

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Thu Apr 22 19:19:35 PDT 2010

First, that my daughter was an associate producer for it (her company also made Juno); but when I saw it, I liked it far more than I had to, so to speak.

Talking to the director about how it was made, I came to think that it represents a sort of aesthetic (and generally non-theoretical) anti-capitalism; the result is one of the only films so far about the Great Recession. (Jeff St. Clair compares it to the work of Preston Sturges.) It also has two brilliant actors, from whom director Jason Reitman elicits amazing performances. And he really wrote the thing, too.

You're quite welcome. Have a good vacation, CGE