[lbo-talk] premium for travel?

Sandy Harris sandyinchina at gmail.com
Thu Apr 22 20:08:00 PDT 2010

On 4/23/10, shag carpet bomb <shag at cleandraws.com> wrote:

> in other words, if the position normally paid 80 grand, would you, in your
> negotiations, ask for more since you're on the road all the time and, thus,
> i a lot of ways, the time you are not sleeping and working isn't really your
> own?

Alternately, are there extras you want to ask for? They send you somewhere for a few days, you stay the weekend and see the place, with them still picking up the tab? Or for some trips, they cover the air fare to bring your honey along?

General terms of travel are important too:

No tight schedules saving corporate dollars. For a meeting scheduled for Thursday morning in some distant place, you travel Wednesday morning, not overnight to arrive bleary-eyed. Travel time counts as work for any vacation/overtime calculations.

Who pays & how are you re-imbursed? Ideally, corporate office sets up flights, hotel & rent-a-car if needed, billing is to them, so you're never out of pocket. Food, taxis etc. might come out of your pocket, but those are promptly re-imbursed.

One nice touch a company I worked for (Data KInetics) had. If you stay with friends when travelling on business, you still get the usual non-hotel expenses. However, there's an extra amount ($25 a day in early 80s), company money that you get with instructions to spend it on your friends. Bring good wine, buy the hostess flowers, whatever.