[lbo-talk] agricultural productivity

Ted Winslow egwinslow at rogers.com
Fri Apr 23 08:09:56 PDT 2010

Alan Rudy wrote:

> Here, even at this extraordinarily high level of abstraction, while mind is
> central to the process, the bodily initiation, regulation and control of the
> reactions between Man and Nature never transcend the tripartite and always
> emergent relations between the mind set in motion, the natural forces of the
> body set in motion and the material participation and re-actions of nature.
> None of this can be separated from the architects imagination and I think
> Marx rather clearly overstates the case when he suggests or at least implies
> that the end of every labor process the result is a direct realization of
> the image in the architects mind before work was started. Implying this
> reifies mind, pacifies bodies and nature and undermines the first third of
> the paragraph.

Marx's treatment of the role of "body" in rational activity sublates Aristotle, specifically Aristotle's idea of "virtuosity" as a "second nature" enabling, e.g., virtuoso piano playing.

The same idea is found in Kant's idea of "art" as "production through freedom, i.e. through a will that places Reason at the basis of its actions."

"Art regarded as human skill differs from science (as can from know) as a practical faculty does from a theoretical, as Technic does from Theory (as mensuration from geometry). And so what we can do, as soon as we merely know what ought to be done and therefore are sufficiently cognisant of the desired effect, is not called Art. Only that which a man, even if he knows it completely, may not therefore have the skill to accomplish, belongs to Art. Camper1 describes very exactly how the best shoes must be made, but he certainly could not make one." http://oll.libertyfund.org/?option=com_staticxt&staticfile=show.php%3Ftitle=1217&chapter=97543&layout=html&Itemid=27

It's also found in Hegel's idea of an "educated person."

All these ideas are sublated in Marx's idea of a "universally developed individual."

Making pianos and playing them also requires knowledge of "natural necessity" (in the sense specified in the passage from Engels), but Marx's idea of "nature" isn't the "scientific materialist" idea which has no logical space for "necessity" in Marx's sense.

There are bad piano makers, bad piano players and bad architects. What makes them bad, according to Marx, is that they lack the developed "knowledge," including in this the developed "virtuosity," "good" activity - i.e. fully "free" activity - of each kind requires.

Ted