[lbo-talk] Quick question on U.S. hate crime stats by state

shag carpet bomb shag at cleandraws.com
Sat Apr 24 16:07:53 PDT 2010

At 03:11 PM 4/24/2010, Doug Henwood wrote:

>On Apr 24, 2010, at 2:46 PM, Carrol Cox wrote:
>
>>Doug Henwood wrote:

>>>Maybe in Alabama hate crimes are classed as acts of civic
>>>responsibility?
>>
>>Or maybe the cops do a better job of relieving civilians of that
>>responnsibility? Though I would guess they do a pretty good job in
>>NJ as
>>well.
>
>My guess is that the real answer is that "hate crimes" is a very
>spongy category. People are probably more likely to report them as
>such, and the cops willing to listen to them, in NJ than in Alabama.
>Just guessing.

i wrote Julio offlist, but the hate crimes stats suffer from the same problem as other crime stats:

http://www.civilrights.org/publications/hatecrimes/nature-and-magnitude.html

also, the standard critique of hate crimes legislation and reporting is that the legislation doesn't consider structural oppression as a factor. thus, people of color can be convicted for crimes against whites under hate crimes legislation: http://www.blackandpink.org/revolt/a-compilation-of-critiques-on-hate-crimes-legislation/

on the old Politics list, this was discussed ad infinitum. I think that, next to blacks, whites are supposedly the second largest category of target - which tells us something about the reporting and the prosecuting, yes?

this site is boo hooing about how underreported "anti-white" hate crime is, but you see what i mean by how the stats are, in my view, "jacked" b/c the reporting includes hate crimes against whites: http://www.racismeantiblanc.bizland.com/005/06.htm