[lbo-talk] what's left

Sandy Harris sandyinchina at gmail.com
Sat Apr 24 22:48:10 PDT 2010

On Sun, Apr 25, 2010 at 1:35 AM, shag carpet bomb <shag at cleandraws.com> wrote:

> what's a leftist? who's a leftist? what's left movement? what is left
> struggle?

Why does that matter? Is a left/right distinction still valid?

Or perhaps something more like Pournelle's two axes? http://www.baen.com/chapters/axes.htm http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pournelle_chart Or any of a half dozen other such systems?

Has the situation changed enough that we should be looking at a new dialectic? Oppressed workers versus exploiting bosses may have been the key issues a few decades back, but now some companies and the unions have more in common -- they are working together to "save jobs" by getting gov't handouts for their industries & blocks against foreign competitors.

I'm in China. First time I got the English TV channel here after it was set up in my city, the first program I saw was a stock market report.