[lbo-talk] Tea Partiers - Univ of Washingto survey

shag carpet bomb shag at cleandraws.com
Sun Apr 25 08:20:22 PDT 2010

reading yesterday's paper at the laundromat, I noticed this in the op-ed section, a University of Washing survey on race, ethnicity, politics in the u.s. http://depts.washington.edu/uwiser/racepolitics.html

"Led by Prof. Christopher Parker, the 2010 Multi-state Survey of Race & Politics examines what Americans think about the issues of race, public policy, national politics, and President Obama, one year after the inauguration of the first African American president."

driving home, I wondered if the 538 folks had been doing any analysis. Yup!

http://www.fivethirtyeight.com/search/label/tea%20parties

specifically, they reported more details about Parker's poll:

"More specifically, for tea party supporters, those abnormal views in every case but one or maybe two reflect higher expressed levels of racism, xenophobia, and homophobia. Some commenters wondered if TP approval is merely a proxy term for "white conservatives," and vice versa for disapprovers/"white liberals." However, in detailed multivariate results that control for ideology which Dr. Parker assured me by email he will soon publish in detail on the WISER website, tea party approval or disapproval is not simply a proxy for these labels, and does in fact have independent explanatory power of the level of intolerance expressed by whites. In any case, the idea that the recent Gallup demographic study "proves" that the views of tea partier supporters are "mainstream" is, it's fair to say, a fiction." http://www.fivethirtyeight.com/2010/04/you-asked-for-it-you-got-it.html