[lbo-talk] what's left

martin mschiller at pobox.com
Mon Apr 26 08:03:26 PDT 2010

On Apr 25, 2010, at 11:02 PM, Dennis Claxton wrote:

> At 10:47 PM 4/25/2010, martin wrote:
>
>> On Apr 25, 2010, at 9:58 PM, Dennis Claxton wrote:
>>
>> > What does "understand labor" mean?
>>
>> I'll try to avoid glibness.
>>
>> martin
>

> What is that supposed to mean? You don't have an answer?

It meant that any answer that I might have given last night sounded 'glib' to me. However, labor is a term used to reference the relationship between an employer and an employee, in which the employer has the power to define the terms of the relationship, and how the 'work' of the employee will be performed. And anyone who has had the experience of that relationship 'understands' labor. Because of the variations in the relations, not all people who have had the experience understand labor in the same way, but they all have an understanding of 'labor'.

martin