[lbo-talk] what's left

Matthias Wasser matthias.wasser at gmail.com
Mon Apr 26 15:00:00 PDT 2010

On Mon, Apr 26, 2010 at 2:59 PM, Dennis Claxton <ddclaxton at earthlink.net>wrote:

> At 11:39 AM 4/26/2010, martin wrote:
>

> Channeling David Horowitz? Yes, that's certainly disagreeable. Or perhaps
>> you were referring to his 'New Left' phase.
>>

> No I was referring to the Horowitz who says U.S. universities are filled
> with Marxist professors. I don't think we should help him spread that lie,
> even inadvertently.

That universities are filled with Marxist professors is a completely different claim than that Marxists [1] are highly likely to be academics - or, at the very least, have the sort of personality that would lead one to become a grad student, if one had the opportunity. To state the obvious, there aren't too many American Marxists out there.

[1] Although the way shag's using the term, I think she means a sort of instinctive approach - focus on solidarity, structural explanations, &c. - that doesn't require one to have ever heard of C-M-C' to be a "Marxist."