[lbo-talk] Fred Halliday has passed away

Bhaskar Sunkara bhaskar.sunkara at gmail.com
Mon Apr 26 19:01:49 PDT 2010

He took Bill Warren's views on imperialism as a progressive phenomena very seriously: http://www.lastsuperpower.net/docs/warren (there are merits to Warren's attacks on the dependency theory, but not on imperialism in places like India as being historically progressive) and was soft on the "official Communism" in the Middle East. I wouldn't put him in the same camp as Berman or Hitchens though and intellectually he was several cuts above the rest. When Berman finally chokes himself to death while masturbating, while Googling himself, I won't waste my breath with any qualified appraisals of the man.