[lbo-talk] M.I.A. on Lady Gaga and more

shag carpet bomb shag at cleandraws.com
Wed Apr 28 04:53:33 PDT 2010

more on this later, but i found the video also interesting because, for those already familiar with this critique, you can see other things in the video someone just learning to appreciate the idea might not see.

one, as the camera pans across the faces on the bus, you see a variety of ginger. at one point, she zeroes in on a young man who could "pass" as not ginger. here she's illustrating something a professor i knew used to do at the beginning of his social problems class: he'd line all 150 students up by shade such that "whites" from italian backgrounds were darker than some who saw themselves and were seen as african americans. such was his wedge to continually return to throughout the course.

two, before they leave the bus the camera focuses on one member of the military. (this is before the halfway mark of the video). Behind the mask that mostly covers his face, you see the markers: very fair skin, green eyes, reddish eyebrows, light lashes. he's the last face of the military you see at the end - i think. i can't be sure about this, but i'm curious if others saw that too.

three, the massacre. why didn't they just shoot them all and be done with it. instead, what they made them do was run for their lives, each an individual, so terrified that there's no time to focus on anything but survival, saving your own ass. of course, they are running into a minefield anyway.

four, another important point, i think, is that none of the military are signaling that they are doing this for sport, that they are laughing as people blow up. i think a lot of pop culture refs to this sort of thing would individualize it: they get pleasure out of the sport of killing people, that something about what they do is unique to them, as individuals. thus leading people to conclude that it's just aberrant individuals.

five, the other thing is that the military follow alongside them as they are running, tossing grenades I gather, and shooting them. they are not in a super-hummer, they're exposed - albeit still slightly protected, with gear, and knowledge of where to drive and where not. the debris and smoke from an exploding body enters the vehicle.

curious if others saw the same things I did.