[lbo-talk] M.I.A. on Lady Gaga and more

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Wed Apr 28 06:46:35 PDT 2010

On Apr 28, 2010, at 1:31 AM, Mike Beggs wrote:

> But anyway, Lady Gaga really just plain sucks.

Dunno, I kind of like her. Catchy stuff. Though, as Gawker pointed out recently, not as good as La Roux, if you like that sort of thing. But then I like Madonna too.

But as for this:

> There's been a bit of an eruption in a corner of the internet I read
> after Mark Dery wrote a piece a week or so ago saying basically what
> MIA said - Lady Gaga was a weak, bland and 'not not dumb' iteration of
> glam, Grace Jones etc.
> "Musicians Derry admires are described in masculine terms (fine art,
> intellect, lack of emotion, “predatory”), and contrasted with
> feminized (superficial, flighty) and female pop icons...

Why are fine art and intellect necessarily masculine? And why is Grace Jones lacking in emotion? There are plenty of dumbass male pop icons - just name the boyband of the week. This response to Dery looks like it just came out of a bot.

Doug