[lbo-talk] what's left

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Wed Apr 28 07:57:17 PDT 2010

On Apr 28, 2010, at 10:36 AM, Wojtek S wrote:

> In social movement literature it is called "frame bridging." What it
> means is that movement activists try to link their cause to those of
> other
> participants. Gay marriage may have nothing to do with capital, but
> if you
> "bridge" their cause to a an anti-capitalist agenda and thus broaden
> your
> anti-capitalist movement.

But that's just not true. Aside from the fact that it looks opportunistic - and, as Shag says, the assumption is that no leftists are gay and want to get married, or know people who are, is off base - same-sexers who want to get married don't necessarily have a beef with the broader society. They just want to be a fuller part of it. Of course, GLBTers are, on average, to the left of straight society, but I don't see the marriage movement as speaking to that. And there's a sex radical critique of the focus on marriage too.

Doug