[lbo-talk] M.I.A. on Lady Gaga and more

Alan Rudy alan.rudy at gmail.com
Wed Apr 28 09:13:25 PDT 2010

On Wed, Apr 28, 2010 at 10:07 AM, Matthias Wasser <matthias.wasser at gmail.com
> wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 28, 2010 at 9:46 AM, Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> wrote:
>
> > Why are fine art and intellect necessarily masculine? And why is Grace
> > Jones lacking in emotion? There are plenty of dumbass male pop icons -
> just
> > name the boyband of the week. This response to Dery looks like it just
> came
> > out of a bot.
> >

> Yeah. Fine art is clearly gendered as feminine. Intellect is more
> ambiguous,
> but can definitely be a violation of masculinity norms.
>

> Ahh, the ambiguity... fine artists, at least the great ones, are like
chefs, male and masculine in general, no? Objets d'art, on the other hand, and the effect metrosexuals that appreciate them... definitely feminine... maybe. My sense is that there's a real question of which masculinity we're talking about... Are we thinking of burley, unshaven, calloused, beer-drinking masculinity or athletically trim, stylish, well-groomed and cosmopolitan masculinity? You talkin' Mick Jagger, David Bowie, Dwight Yoakum and Elliot Smith or Jimmy Page, Gene Simmons, D. Boon and Mark Lanegan. James Dean or Kirk Douglas? Joe Willy Namath or Ken Stabler? Lou Brock or Willy Stargell? I'm just sayin'.

And, yeah, yeah, yeah, I had to fudge it all a little bit, so what. ;-)

-- ********************************************************* Alan P. Rudy Dept. Sociology, Anthropology and Social Work Central Michigan University 124 Anspach Hall Mt Pleasant, MI 48858 517-881-6319