[lbo-talk] what's left

c b cb31450 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 29 12:11:47 PDT 2010

shag carpet

>^^^^^^^
>
>CB: SMILE Funny u should ask this. The American Ultra-lefts
>incessantly complain that the Communist Party USA does this.

heh. yeah. i was gonna say that the CPusa'ers I'm hanging with now are talking about how it's really unusual to see criticism of Obama on the web site. It's just not heard of!

^^^^ CB: Uhhh. "not heard of " is too strong. The escalation in Afghanistan was criticized. The bailout of the banksters was criticized. During the Presidential campaign Sam Webb specifically said Obama is not left and that if elected some of the things he will do we will not support. I mean I heard him say it in person.

And the general claim of the ultra-leftists like LouPro on the CP "support" of the DP is an exaggeration and half-truth. Clinton, Carter, LBJ, Kennedy, Truman....Smith in 1928, whoever in 1920 and 1924 were all criticized in many ways. I think the first CP assessments of FDR were that he was a social fascist (!). Truman waged war on Red Korea. Kennedy and LBJ warred on Red Viet Nam. You can be sure these were criticized, nay , denounced. Truman's Attorney General prosecuted Reds. The first Smith Act prosecutions were under Truman. That's just Presidents. The Democratic Party is not just its Presidents or Presidential candidates. The Southern segregationists were Democrats; they were not supported. When one examines it closely , it's obviously false to claim the CP has never or even just rarely criticized or opposed the DP and Democrats.

Another side of this is that during and since the Cold War, it would be a sort of kiss of death to have a Communist endorsement.

^^^^^^^

I also think it's backward. I can remember when liberals, democrats, etc freaked out about the antiwar movement being tied to the commies - ufpj and the other one, can't think of it now. not on this list, but just in general. people didn't want to be associated with the commie freaks.

i also don't get it because, in my experience, most commies participating in things like antiwar groups, etc. generally keep their mouths shut about their leanings. they're all about accomodation. e.g., the May Day thingaroo here is all about bringing u.s. flags ONLY and placards with "Yes we can!" all over them.

I think, SA, you're mistaking discussions here, which are spaces for voicing frustration at placards with "Yes we can!" on them and american flags only rules, with the fact that, in the end, we go to the rally, participate in the meeting, whatever.... at least that's been my experience of any pinko-red I've ever known in f2f life.