[lbo-talk] media

brandelune at gmail.com brandelune at gmail.com
Tue Aug 3 04:57:03 PDT 2010

On 3 août 10, at 20:33, Andy wrote:

> It might also have something to do with the printed page offering no distracting alt-tab to FB updates.

It could also be an altogether physical thing: sitting in front of a screen at the right distance requires the whole body to act as the distance regulator while holding a book or a paper allows for the arms to correct the distance and to read in pretty much any position.

I've had interesting experiences involving using my hands for things not related to typing on a keyboard. I've started to do origami a lot last year and found that spending time using the hands that way was a real stimulation. So much that when I can't focus on the translation at hand I take a piece of paper and spare 15mn to do a squirrel or a butterfly. Then I can proceed with the translation.

So my idea about screen vs page is that involving the hands is the differentiating factor. It would be interesting to see how reading on screen compares to reading on an iPad or similarly book-sized/hand-held device. Book sized is important because I guess that the angle of sight is also at play there.

Jean-Christophe Helary ---------------------------------------- fun: http://mac4translators.blogspot.com work: http://www.doublet.jp (ja/en > fr) tweets: http://twitter.com/brandelune