[lbo-talk] media

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Tue Aug 3 16:59:28 PDT 2010

Doug, you (and the rest of us) are emerging from the Gutenberg Parenthesis:

"the post-Gutenberg era — the period from, roughly, the 15th century to the 20th, an age defined by textuality — was essentially an interruption in the broader arc of human communication ... we are now, via the discursive architecture of the web, slowly returning to a state in which orality — conversation, gossip, the ephemeral — defines our media culture."

http://www.niemanlab.org/2010/04/the-gutenberg-parenthesis-thomas-pettitt-on-parallels-between-the-pre-print-era-and-our-own-internet-age/

Birth is difficult, and you're longing for a return to the reading-womb.

But there's no going back.