[lbo-talk] media

Bhaskar Sunkara bhaskar.sunkara at gmail.com
Tue Aug 3 18:47:35 PDT 2010

I agree. It might be a generational thing, but my collection of "real books" don't have much sentimental value attached to them and are just a pain to move around. I have to elicit a horde of friends to help before and after every year of school. It would probably matter less if I was more settled and I do prefer to have my favorite books in a physical form, but that's more of a collector's fetish. Ebooks and public libraries work just as well practically. / A few tools that might be of use/:

For reading online: http://lab.arc90.com/experiments/readability/ is a must.

For reading offline: a good non-amazon ebook reader. The Sony PRS-505 is still the best bang for your buck. Amazon forces you to use their proprietary wifi for the transfer of books, whereas Sony uses an old-fashioned USB. There are hordes of (in and out of copyright) books on sites like http://gigapedia.com . I also cut and paste long articles from the internet into a .RTF or .DOC and throw it on the reader. The Sony library management software is shit, but there is a freeware program called Calibre, which is fantastic.

Oddly enough I have a special reverence for the .PDF. Take the same content and put it on an HTML webpage and I'll reflexively give it less respect, which is idiotic and inexplicable.

I stumbled upon the ebook copy of /Wall Street/ around a year and a half ago and since I read it I've been a loyal subscriber to LBO and you've all been graced with my presence. I'm not sure I would've ever hunted down an out-of-print book if it wasn't available in this medium.

On the deeper concerns, I agree that the self-publishing wave has produced few gems and a lot of bilge. I also think the digital-era has imparted a "drive-by" character to the way we communicate, research and produce new material.

-- Bhaskar