[lbo-talk] music in Iran: verboten

Bhaskar Sunkara bhaskar.sunkara at gmail.com
Tue Aug 3 19:10:01 PDT 2010

Political executions happen in Iran frequently, but in the United States we've already won some battles. Mumia is still breathing on death row and wasn't woken up one morning 16 years ago, video taped on a crappy camera-phone and hanged. Bill Ayers wasn't strapped to electrodes after he tried to blow up the Capitol building.

If you can't respect why Iranians fight and die for "bourgeois" democratic rights, if you can't understand why they receive solidarity from progressives abroad, you are a douche-bag. If you can't understand why the Ayatollah is a class enemy, you are a reactionary douche-bag.

And if your position is representative of the contemporary Left, then no wonder /Reading Lolita in Tehran/ was dedicated to creeps like Paul Wolfowitz.