[lbo-talk] music in Iran: verboten

Joseph Catron jncatron at gmail.com
Tue Aug 3 20:17:15 PDT 2010

Michael is correct, of course. Shockingly, the legitimate media offer a more accurate picture of the situation than do Facebook status updates:

"Khamenei's comments came in response to a request for a ruling by a 21-year-old follower of his, who was thinking of starting music lessons, but wanted to know if they were acceptable according to Islam, the semi-official Fars news agency reported. "It's better that our dear youth spend their valuable time in learning science and essential and useful skills and fill their time with sport and healthy recreations instead of music," he said.

"Khamenei has rarely expressed his views on music publicly, but he is believed have played a key role in the crackdown on Iran's music scene following the revolution ..."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/aug/02/iran-supreme-leader-music-islam

Yep, sounds like he's on quite the warpath.

One suspects very strongly that this is a factoid, to