[lbo-talk] Krugman: The logical fallacy of euro doorstep austerity

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Wed Aug 4 06:39:53 PDT 2010

<begin blog post>

http://krugman.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/08/04/give-me-your-tired-your-poor-your-hungary/?pagemode=print

Paul Krugman - New York Times Blog

August 4, 2010, 9:12 am

Give Me Your Tired, Your Poor, Your Hungary

I'm a little late getting to this report on Hungary's loss of patience

with austerity; it should be read in conjunction with this terrific

Fistful of Euros piece from a few weeks ago that I meant to link but

never got around to, Scenes from an internal devaluation.

Basically, Hungary is pursuing a harsh, seemingly endless austerity

program, and keeping interest rates relatively high, in an effort to

support its currency. This in turn is considered essential because (a)

Hungary wants to join the euro (b) there's great fear that a

devaluation of the forint would cause big debt problems, because so

much Hungarian private-sector debt is in other currencies -- euros, and

even Swiss francs.

About (a), I guess the question is at what price? About (b): there's a

major logical fallacy in this whole line of argument. I tried to point

it out in a post last year about Latvia; let me quote myself:

<begin quote>

Hugh puts his finger, in particular, on one gaping hole in the logic of

the opponents of devaluation. We can't devalue, they say, because the

Latvian private sector has a lot of debts in euros, and a devaluation

would make it very hard for borrowers to service those debts. As Hugh

points out, the proposed alternative -- sharp wage cuts, and basically

a major domestic deflation -- will also make it hard to service those

debts. In fact, I'd be a bit more specific than Hugh: other things

equal, a nominal devaluation and a real depreciation achieved through

deflation should have exactly the same effect on debt service (unless

some of the debt is in lats rather than euros, in which case

devaluation would do less damage.)

<end self quote>

This looks like events repeating themselves, the first time as tragedy,

the second time as another tragedy.

And it's not surprising that Hungary wants out.

<end blog post>