[lbo-talk] music in Iran: verboten

Miles Jackson cqmv at pdx.edu
Wed Aug 4 08:14:47 PDT 2010

Alan Rudy wrote:
> What struck me about the quote, and the context added by others, is it
> sounds an awful lot like the sciency-mathy-techy,
> anti-humanities-arts-and-social sciences terrain of the vast majority
> American educational leaders. I guess "American democracy" and the "Iranian
> Revolution" each need (and don't see the need for) the same stuff to
> succeed, a sad comment on both.

I'm not sure who you who consider "American educational leaders", but very few top-level administrators in our educational system have graduate degrees in science or math. Frankly, I wish we had more "sciency-mathy-techy" people leading our educational institutions; there would be far more decisions based on critical analysis of relevant data.

Let's be clear: the whole NLCB high stakes testing thing is not driven by sciency-mathy-techies. It's driven by political hacks who are more or less ignorant about good scientific measurement practices.

Miles