[lbo-talk] Astronomy

Chuck Grimes c123grimes at att.net
Thu Aug 5 19:21:43 PDT 2010

Below is a link to a lecture with three astronomers from Berkeley: Saul Perlmutter, David Schlegel and Alexie Leauthaud. They talk about their speciality, cosmology, dark energy and dark matter, respectively. The talk is heavily weighted on observation. It is from Oct 2009, so it is pretty recent. It's an hour and a half, with the last approximately thirty or more minutes answering questions, which are well informed questions, since most of the audience are other scientists.

The nice part is that each panelist says I don't know, when they don't know. They are also willing to speculate with the question when the question calls for it. There are animated shorts most of which are compiled with data, and not artist renditions. The best is from Schlegel who assembled a series of slices from as far away as current observation goes, then moves toward us in planes or slices. The other series of slides is not animated, but does use illustrations, then superimposes observation images. It shows the texture of the dark matter at various distances and pans inward until the visiable images are seen imposed on the dark matter webbing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YezKsgsPM24&feature=related

(I decided after my mistake last night between Beinart and Brietbard, I needed to get out more, and especially away from the news. Astronomy, cosmology, math, or the math I can grasp, gives me some sense of promise for a future beyond what seems utterly bleak.)