[lbo-talk] Taibbi: Plutocrats Still in Charge, Empire Still Suicidal

Ted Winslow egwinslow at rogers.com
Fri Aug 6 13:42:20 PDT 2010

Julio Huato wrote:

> Ted wrote:
>
>> This isn't an adequate rendering of the Hegel's elaboration of "the higher
>> dialectic of the conception" in terms of "self-estrangement" within the
>> labour process, the elaboration appropriated in the role in individual
>> development Marx himself assigns to the labour process.
>
> How would you summarize in four or five paragraphs Hegel's lectures on
> the philosophy of history
> (http://www.marxists.org/reference/archive/hegel/hisindex.htm),
> intending your summary to modern readers not necessarily familiar with
> 19th century German philosophy?
>
> "Nothing significant in human history has ever been accomplished
> without passion." (Hegel)

I would include Hegel's idea of "the higher dialectic of the conception" and its relation to his developmental idea of "estrangement" in the labour process, the idea and the relation I just again elaborated. A summary that excludes the essential ontological and anthropological ideas underpinning a philosophy of history can't contribute to an understanding of it.

By the way, Hegel's idea of "passion," as I just again pointed out in a response to Doug's quoting Marx on "greed," embodies both the idea, and, as appropriated by Marx in the passage about wage labour I just quoted, the relation.

He there treats "greed" as manifested in wage labour as a "passion," i.e. as a "negative" motive embodying "estrangement" and working "behind the backs" of those motivated by it to produce "a positive content and result," i.e. to "supply the impelling and actuating force for accomplishing deeds shared in by the community at large." http://www.marxists.org/reference/archive/hegel/works/hi/history3.htm

The "elements of the universal" produced is "the integral development of every individual producer," a development that ends in the "rich individuality," the "universality," of "the universally developed individual," "the unity of the universal and individual."

“The efficient or motive principle, which is not merely the analysis but the production of the several elements of the universal, I call dialectic. … the higher dialectic of the conception does not merely apprehend any phase as a limit and opposite, but produces out of this negative a positive content and result." http://www.marxists.org/reference/archive/hegel/works/pr/printrod.htm

Ted