[lbo-talk] Astonomy

Chuck Grimes c123grimes at att.net
Sat Aug 7 13:24:38 PDT 2010

CB: Are dark matter and energy something like blackboxes ?

No. As far as I can tell dark matter represents an unknown type of matter. It's only interaction with other matter is through its gravitational mass. Dark energy is a different kind of phenomenon. The expansion or distance between galaxies is expanding faster than seen from earlier observations, and faster than it did in much of the past by observation. The concept is very bizarre. Space is being inflated. It is also called negative pressure, as if space was being pulled from somewhere into this universe.

Both these phenomenon were discovered by the use of much better telescopes and much more extensive surveys of the sky.

The lecture link I posted was from Berkeley. But the physical observations were done mostly with the telescope at Keck. The Sloan survey was done in the Sacramento mountains. The Keck telescope is on one of the islands in the Hawanii. I watched a video this morning on Keck and would have posted it, but it's mostly an advertizement for Keck and had little to report on astronomy.

Both Keck and Sloan are non-government projects. Their funding is a combination of private foundations, and international organizations, mostly from the UK. I assume the way they run is that the observatory charges big bucks for the use. So they are indirectly funded by government research grants. Perlmutter gets his money from DoE and pays to use Keck to get his data. Keck receives proposals and selects which it will allow to run at Keck.

Hubble on the other hand is a government project developed under NASA, but administered through the Space Telescope Science Institute. STSCI is evidently a consortium of universities which would be both public and private.

I think it is always important to figure out where the money comes from for anything because that determines what gets done. In other words money is the sociology of the sciences and the arts.

CG