[lbo-talk] New Immigration bill

James Leveque jamespl79 at googlemail.com
Sun Aug 8 07:32:18 PDT 2010

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0810/40765.html

I'd like to follow a line of thought that might be wrong, but maybe you can help me clarify my thinking.

"Immigration reform advocates blasted Democrats on Friday for pushing a $600 million border security bill through the Senate, accusing them of trying to placate Republicans who will never be satisfied with the government’s enforcement efforts."

The idea that Dems haven't "gotten the message" that the GOP is going to complain and block whatever the Dems do is a little ridiculous. The average Dem politician is smart enough to realize that Republicans' entire strategy is to argue that any increase in border security is not enough, because they're not going to sow popular discontent with a Dem administration by acting as though its policies are good. For example, health care reform was largely devised of Republican policies (Mitt Romney, Heritage Foundation, Nixon Administration) but the GOP as a whole voted against it. Dems are fully aware of this tactic, so the alternative explanation - rather than attempting to placate Republicans - is that the Dems are pushing the bill that they more-or-less want, which includes:

"1,500 new border personnel, a pair of unmanned drones and military-style bases along the border" (sounds like Afghanistan to me).

So what's in it, politically, for the Dems to militarize the border in this way? They're antagonizing their voting base - and for what? I'm thinking that what Dems want to do is control the flow of undocumented workers without stopping it. A steady stream of workers that can be easily (and brutally) whisked back to Mexico if need be. This could prevent the possibility of organization amongst undocumented workers as well as keep younger workers in the U.S. while deporting older workers who might not be able to work as productively might need greater use of social and health care services in the U.S.

Like I said, this line of thought might be missing something, but if anybody would like to comment that would be great.

James