[lbo-talk] INSURGENT ANTHROPOLOGIES: A DIALOGUE WITH PAN-AFRICAN HISTORIAN DR. TONY MARTIN

CHRISTOPHERR CARRICO ccarrico at temple.edu
Sun Aug 8 10:21:58 PDT 2010

By Christopher Carrico

I first came across Tony Martin’s work in the late 1990s while I was reading scholarship about Afro-America and the circum-Caribbean. I was preparing to do dissertation fieldwork in the Anglophone West Indies (Guyana), and I was interested in work that addressed the manner in which race, class, and nation had been thought about by scholars from the Caribbean. Like Tony Martin, I thought that there was an important dialogue of continued relevance that had come out of this scholarship. I was interested in the work of C. L. R. James, Franz Fanon, George Padmore, and Walter Rodney – as well as in some of the issues that arose out of the debates between Marcus Garvey and W. E. B. DuBois that Tony Martin has dealt with in such detail.

read full post at:

http://ccarrico.wordpress.com/2010/08/08/insurgent-anthropologies-a-dialouge-with-pan-african-historian-dr-tony-martin/

or

http://asitoughttobe.wordpress.com/2010/08/08/insurgent-anthropologies-a-dialouge-with-pan-african-historian-dr-tony-martin/