[lbo-talk] The Banality of anti-Israel Lobby Doctrine

Shane Mage shmage at pipeline.com
Sun Aug 8 17:03:50 PDT 2010

On Aug 8, 2010, at 6:49 PM, SA wrote:

> I'm a little confused by this. First, I don't see why cutting off
> aid to Israel would result in "a new imbalance of power in the
> region in favour of Iran and the Islamist movement." Is the
> correlation of forces so finely balanced right now that a mere US
> aid cutoff would immediately result in Iranian regional domination?
> Do you really believe US policy is only trying to maintain an equal
> regional power balance between Israel and Iran? That's not how I see
> it - to me, it looks like Israel clearly dominates and the US,
> rather than balancing off that lopsided domination, is propping it up.

Aren't you ignoring the elephant-sized turkey in the room? Perhaps a US aid cutoff would result in Turkish domination of the region--which, after all, they ruled for centuries far better than subsequent "independent" governments anywhere at all?

Shane Mage

"L'après-vie, c'est une auberge espagnole. L'on n'y trouve que ce qu'on a apporté."

Bardo Thodol