[lbo-talk] The Banaltiy of anti-Israel Lobby Doctrine

Michael Smith mjs at smithbowen.net
Sun Aug 8 21:16:24 PDT 2010

On Mon, 9 Aug 2010 03:01:29 +0000 (GMT) Angelus Novus <fuerdenkommunismus at yahoo.com> wrote:

> There's no shame in not being able to read German, but if you were
> able to, you'd have caught this:
>
> http://meldungen-aus-dem-exil.noblogs.org/post/2010/01/08/der-masturbatorische-philosemitismus-nochmals-zu-den-antideutschen
>
> It's actually an attack on pro-Israel tendencies within the German
> left.

One seems to have touched a nerve here.

In fact one can sorta-kinda read German, in a slow schoolboyish way. The point one was trying to make is that these "pro-Israel tendencies" in the German left are extraordinarily strong, a point which the author cited above takes as a point of departure.

These "tendencies" are even stronger in Germany than here in the US, as far as I can tell, with my schoolboy German. Would New Angel disagree?

If so, I look forward to being corrected.

Speculating a bit:

One of the forces tending to emancipate American lefties from their anti-anti-Semitic trance was the black movement -- I would like to come up with a better phrase for this, but I don't know what it would be. "Civil rights movement" is weak, "black nationalism" is just one strand among many. But anybody who was around at the time knows what I'm referring to, no matter what you call it.

The clearest-headed folks in this movement had very little use for Zionism, and they taught us palefaces a lot.

With all respect to the German comrades, they didn't have the benefit of this particular education.

--

Michael Smith mjs at smithbowen.net http://stopmebeforeivoteagain.org http://fakesprogress.blogspot.com http://cars-suck.org