[lbo-talk] The Banaltiy of anti-Israel Lobby Doctrine

Somebody Somebody philos_case at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 9 12:18:39 PDT 2010

Angelus: Just wait until the teabagger thugs meet the 9/11 truthers and you'll see the kind of purchase the Mearsheimer-Walt thesis will have on the fascist imagination. Then the rhetoric of a pure, virtuous productive American yeomanry exploited by sinister Zionist lobbies and Central Bankers will no longer be ignorable.

Somebody: Angelus, this is just out of touch with America today. If this were going to happen, we'd have to expect to have seen a rise in anti-Semitism by now. Even the Anti-Defamation League accepts this fact - according to their own polling we're at a historic low of 12% of Americans who are prejudiced against Jews. And they've been conducting their polling for 45 years. When they started the percentage of anti-Semites was at 29%.

And anecdotal evidence confirms the trend. Look, Jews in the U.S. are seen by almost everybody as constitutive element of the white population. By contrast, anti-immigration sentiments have increased since the recession, even as illegal immigration has declined and enforcement has gone up. No surprise there: Mexicans and Central Americans are brown-skinned. U.S. patterns of discrimination are fundamentally different than those in Europe because of our history of black slavery and Indian genocide.

I have to say, you strike me as an intelligent chap Angelus. But in the end, crude empiricism like the above is more revealing than eloquent philosophical digressions on the superiority of Marx's monetary theory of value and the class origins of anarchism.