[lbo-talk] Rundle on the Australian election

Mike Beggs mikejbeggs at gmail.com
Mon Aug 9 22:18:19 PDT 2010

On Tue, Aug 10, 2010 at 2:18 PM, Catherine Driscoll <catherine.driscoll at sydney.edu.au> wrote:
> Let's not confuse incredulity and despair with any simple kind of disinterest.

For sure.

One of the key signs of just how alienated politics has become is how just about everyone now approaches politics as a pundit - it's not just for journalists anymore. Journalists talking to their proverbial taxi driver find he reports a conversation at the pub with another taxi driver whose wife heard the feeling on talkback was that the swing voters of Penrith would find Swan's spin on mortgage rates unconvincing. When the self-referentiality of the campaign coverage became a bona fide election issue, with the media reporting Twitter conversations about how self-referential the campaign coverage was, my head just started to hurt. It's horrible.

Mike Beggs