[lbo-talk] The Banality of anti-Israel Lobby Doctrine

David Green davegreen84 at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 10 09:46:53 PDT 2010

Joseph Catron said: "It takes a lot of balls for someone who trafficks in toxic insinuations like that to accuse anyone else of poisoning a debate."   The quantity of my cajones aside, I'm not accusing M/W and others of hating Jews for being Jewish. But in spite of my discomfort at bring anti-Semitism into the discussion, I think it's important to confront the idea that here are a group of realist academics who are promoting a kind of updated "stab-in-the-back" explanation of USFP, where the stabbers are claimed to be motivated by Israel's interests in contradiciton to U.S. interests. What a hanging curveball over the middle of the plate to provide the Zionists and neocons, and all the time keeping the debate firmly within "realist" limits. Those who actually want to help the Palestinians need to reject this "higher anti-Semitism," and frame it as an aspect of (disgusting) realist discourse, to separate it from what Norman Finkelstein refers to as more understandable "spillover" in relation to Israel's behavior. Any truck with stab-in-the-back is symptomatic of a principled leftist movement shooting itself in the foot.   DG