[lbo-talk] The Banality of anti-Israel Lobby Doctrine

Shane Mage shmage at pipeline.com
Wed Aug 11 06:42:47 PDT 2010

On Aug 11, 2010, at 9:26 AM, Michael Pollak wrote:
> ...The majority of State and Defense were against recognizing Israel
> precisely because it would endanger US interests. General Marshall,
> the Secretary of State, had to be talked out of resigning over it.
> It was a very close run thing. I personally believe Truman finally
> did it largely on sentimental, logistic and humanitarian grounds
> having to do with what to do with DPs in Europe...

Or was it the Leo Isaacson (CP-backed candidate who beat the Dems in a Bronx Congressional special election) effect? New York would have definitively been down the drain (even so the Wallace vote let Dewey win it). And Stalin forced his hand. What would have been the effect on Jewish support for the whole Cold War program if Stalin remained the only one to recognize (and arm) the Zionists?

Shane Mage

"Thunderbolt steers all things." Herakleitos of Ephesos, fr. 64