[lbo-talk] Could the Professional Left on this list please stand up? ; -)

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Wed Aug 11 07:21:21 PDT 2010

I don't think so. This was no accident. The Obama campaign was probably less prone to "accidents" than any recent example. And Gibbs was a major part of that campaign.

From the 2006 campaign on, the Democrats and Obama successfully co-opted the antiwar movement beyond what had ever happened before. (Robert Kennedy's campaign is the only analogue, and that was brief and inconsequential.)

Now their vigorous attempts to brand the teapartiers as racists and a red-baiting (not said of course, because red has changed its meaning) attack on the professional left allows them to re-attract the bien-pensant while successfully continuing the war & Wall Street policies that are contrary to the interest of the majority.

It's neatly done; it may allow them to avoid more than the usual midterm loss in November - and prepare them to welcome the votes of the political class in 2012, who "Always keep ahold of Nurse / For fear of finding something worse."