[lbo-talk] The Banality of anti-Israel Lobby Doctrine

Marv Gandall marvgandall at videotron.ca
Wed Aug 11 07:43:07 PDT 2010

Point taken, Michael. There have always been divisions between "Arabists" and "Zionists" in the State Department and other overseas ministries dating back to the Balfour Declaration, but I was unaware they ran as deeply in the Truman administration as they did, for example, in the British government.

Admittedly without consulting the literature, I would still expect to find that the divisions in State and Defence turned less on humanitarian concerns than on strategic considerations having to do with the Soviets acquiring influence with the Arab states. The pro-Zionist side, which Truman was part of, probably countered that a failure to support partition would increase Soviet influence within the Hebrew-speaking settler colony if the Soviet bloc were the sole source of diplmatic and military support for the nascent Jewish state. A substantial part of the Yishuv was already sympathetic to the USSR on ideological grounds and for sheltering Jews fleeing the genocidal Nazi advance into Eastern Europe.

But the larger point remains that the debates and decisions taken by the Truman and subsequent administrations were autonomous ones, and only incidentally affected by representations from the organized Zionist lobby. And they were essentially tactical ones, which did not affect a consisitent policy of support for Israel against the Palestinian Arabs and neighbouring Arab states. This was especially the case after 1967, but even the pressure exerted on the Israelis in 1956 by the Eisenhower adminstration occured within the context of strategic support for Israel against the Egyptians under Nasser, atill viewed as a hostile power inimical to Western interests.