[lbo-talk] The Banality of anti-Israel Lobby Doctrine

David Green davegreen84 at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 11 09:25:18 PDT 2010

Seth said:

"It seems to me that for all the discussion regarding this topic on the left, there has been relatively little, perhaps zero, discussion on how different understandings of the Israeli lobby impact on activist tactics and strategies.  I have not seen anything from Blankfort, Mondoweiss, Counterpunch, etc. on what should be done differently.  This was the basic point in the first Blankfort/Chomsky "debate" in the old National Guardian from 1991 (which I still have a copy of, having read it and saved it at the time).  So the entire discussion is more or

less pointless, in my opinion.  Interesting as history and understanding of foreign policy decisions, etc., but I just don't see how it impacts on what people should do.  Suppose one takes a Blankfort view of the lobby instead of the Chomsky view, to whatever extent that's even a coherent thing to say.  Then what?"

Seth, my intent in raising this issue has always related to tactical issues. In general, there has been a correlation between those promoting a doctrinal anti-Lobby view to support one-state and BDS. Not a perfect correlation, but the doctrainaire view itself certainly does. Apparently, they feel that once you wield some economic weapons against Israel and expose the Lobby, everything will fall into place, and we have a democratic secular state in I/P. Of course, this distorts the views of those of us who support selective BDS, especially, D in relation to U.S. corporations, as does Chomsky. But it also avoids the hard work of confronting U.S. interests in supporting Israel, and some of the local political work that might be done in relation, for example, in relation to Congresspersons who might show some flexibility on the issue. So again, just as the Palestinian cause is finally no longer marginalized on the left as part of a critique of U.S. foreign policy, and can be straightforwardly incorporated into antiwar organizing, along comes Blankfort to defame the motives, the strategy, and the tactics of those who understand Israel to be a strategic asset for those who run our FP. And with him come the realists, without a principled word to their name regarding the Palestinian cause. So yes, this is a discussion that is happening and needs to happen more, but part of the reason that it is not happening is that influential websites like Counterpunch and Mondoweiss will not post my articles and those of others who challenge the doctrinal Lobby view and its very serious tactical consequences, which include opening up the Palestinian rights movement to very serious charges of anti-Semitism, in my view.

To be fair, even Z and MR have so far not seen fit to air these issues--maybe it's seen as somehow sectarian and personal. For me, it's not. It's how to get beyond this insidious disruption and subversion in the legitimate Palestinian rights movement, and establish what is essential for AMERICANS to do.

DG